So I have been thinking about this post for quite a while now, like a really long time, but I never had the time to just sit down and finalize the list. So ever since Friends came onto Netflix this past January and I finally got to watch the whole serious through, I have been mentally noting the obvious and some not-so-obvious similarities between Friends and How I Met Your Mother.
So without further ado, here is Kate's official list of similarities between How I Met Your Mother and Friends.
1. There are the obvious ones that everyone talks about, a group of young friends, living in New York City, hanging out at the same place every day, never really being at work.
2. There is the also very well known similarities of the type cast of characters.
Ted and Ross, Monica and Lily, Marshall and Chandler, Robin and Rachel, Joey and Barney (poor Phoebe being kind of left out of that little comparison).
3. No one actually knows what Barney and Chandler do, and they make jokes of it throughout the show that no one knows what they do.
4. The womanizer guy marries the long-term relationship couple. AKA Joey marries Monica and Chandler and Barney marries Marshall and Lily.
5. The two main best friends on the show Marshall and Ted and Ross and Chandler both met in colleges and were roommates.
6. The "nerdy" guys in the shows end up being professors in their respective field of work. Then they both end up dating a student when they are professors.
7. Chandler and Marshall both cannot take a good picture.
8. Rachel throws an impromptu party in order to hang out with her love interest Joshua, and Ted throws an impromptu party (three actually) to hang out with his love interest Robin.
9. Robin and Rachel both date foreign guys and make Ted/Ross jealous.
10. They both live in obscenely large, never would be able to afford in real life apartments.
and my absolute three favorite similarities.....
11. Ted and Chandler both have female middle names. Ted Evelyn Mosby, and Chandler Muriel Bing.
12. Janice is in both shows. In Friends she plays the character Janice, and then in How I Met Your Mother she is Marshall and Lily's realtor.
13. This girl gets dumped on her birthday. IN BOTH SHOWS. like come on people. you can't make this stuff up.
Can you guys think of any other good ones?!